“If it weren’t for BNT, I wouldn’t be here right now” – Ubaldo Diaz, U.S. Army Veteran & BNT Tenant
Founded in 1986, Building Neighborhoods Together’s (BNT) mission is to end housing insecurity, income inequality and homelessness by creating safe, affordable housing, and providing comprehensive housing and financial counseling services to low- and moderate-income families across Connecticut.
BNT is the most active nonprofit developer of affordable housing in Fairfield County and Southern Connecticut. Over the past 15 years, BNT has invested some $50 million in housing where vacant properties often existed. It owns and manages over 230 units of safe, clean, and affordable housing. We house 425 tenants in 26 buildings, 90% of whom are people of color and over 1/3rd of whom were previously homeless, or at risk of homelessness. Our tenants include young mothers, seniors, veterans, and foster youth. Our average tenant family income is $18,000, and less than 40% of them are on supportive housing.
Property Management Stats
- Provide housing to over 425 individuals and families
- Manage a portfolio of $41 million in properties
- 2/3rds of our 230 units are in 4 new buildings
Real Estate Development Achievements
- Completed the development of 89 units since 2015 (a $25 million investment)
- Manage the construction of 3 buildings (44 units; a $9 million investment) to be completed in 2021 starting February 2021
- Manage a development pipeline of 16 units (a $5 million investment)
- Will have some 250 units by year end 2021
BNT’s Empowerment Resource Academy (ERA) is the most active US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved and Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) certified housing counseling agency in Fairfield County and among the most active serving Connecticut statewide. Since 2015, ERA has served over 11,400 clients, resulting in over 2,500 families achieving homeownership for the first time. In 2020, we served over 2,700 clients, and assisted 875 avoid eviction or foreclosure and helped 315 families obtain a mortgage and purchase their first home.
- Pre-Purchase Counseling and Education
- RENTAL ASSISTANCE
- Rental Counseling and Education
- Eviction Prevention Counseling
- Foreclosure Prevention Counseling and Education
- Reverse Mortgage Counseling
- Financial Literacy Counseling and Education
- Credit Counseling and Coaching
- Budget Counseling and Coaching
- FAIR HOUSING Discrimination Counseling and Education
- Benefits Access
- Resident Engagement and Empowerment
2020 ERA Service Statistics
- Provided housing counseling and education to 2,700 clients in both English and Spanish
- Helped 800 families obtain up to $4,000 in rental assistance and avoid eviction
- Provided homeownership classes to over 500 clients
- Helped 315 families obtain homeownership (generating some $60 million in mortgages)
- Helped 75 families avoid foreclosure
We had a very productive 2020, yet there’s so much more to be done in 2021.