JOB TITLE: Property Manager
JOB REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DATE UPDATED: March 11, 2019
The Property Manager is a member of the BNT team, supporting achievement of the mission: to strengthen communities. To meet this challenge, BNT develops and manages affordable housing, provides comprehensive home-ownership education and wealth building services, and supports economic empowerment through its social enterprise initiative. The Property Manager will report to the Director of Property and Asset Management and will be responsible for overseeing BNT’s Portfolio of 220 units and 18,000 sq. ft. of commercial space scattered in various buildings throughout the City.
Administrative: 40% of time.
- Maintain operational excellence and monitor the following goals consistently
- Compliance with property management operating budget.
- Maintain occupancy rate of 95% or better.
- Ensure that unit turnovers are done in a timely; 80% of units will be ready within 14 days of vacancy; 20% of units will be ready with 30 days of vacancy.
- Ensure resident satisfaction in BNT housing by addressing work orders, complaints and lease violations as appropriate.
- Work in coordination with local housing authority on rental assistance units to ensure compliance with Housing Assistance Program (HAP) contract and Section 8
- Achieve break-even operation
- Maximize income by developing a rent collection policy.
- Monitor staff over-time costs.
- Monitor utility expenses, work with utility companies to provide funding to perform energy audits, install LED lighting, install power switches, and monitor usage.
- Annually appeal City property assessment for each property to reduce tax liability and advocate for a 10 year tax freeze.
Marketing: 20% of time.
- Advertise apartments available through various media outlets and ensure compliance with the Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan.
- Create and maintain wait-list of qualified applicants while remaining in compliance with the development’s Tenant Selection Plan;
Tenant Relations: 40% of time.
- Ensure compliance with all fair housing laws when conducting leasing transactions.
- Select qualified tenants, conduct interviews;
- Review tenant applications and determine eligibility, i.e. credit score, housing and employment history, etc.;
- Prepare and execute rental agreements with tenants;
- Enforce terms of rental agreements including negotiating payments plans, addressing tenant complaints, overseeing eviction proceedings;
- Oversee eviction of tenants in compliance with court order and direction from lawyers;
- Review tenant rent rolls;
- Create effective resident retention programs including partnering with social service providers and BNT’s Empowerment Resource Academy;
- Commitment to BNT’s mission, respect for the work of our nonprofit partners, commitment to providing exemplary customer service to our
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Property management certifications: LIHTC, ARM, CPM, COS, BOS, certification
- Detailed knowledge of federal, state, and local housing programs.
- Familiar with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations including Fair housing laws.
- Strong business, marketing, and property management sense.
- Ability to process problems and recommend sound solutions to such problems.
- Calm and intelligent crisis manager with developed conflict management skills.
- Ability to maintain essential written records and reports.
- Ability to engage and maintain participation from diverse community-based organizations and local government programs.
- Effective communicator and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-motivated and independent thinker while maintaining strong and loyal team relationships.
- Demonstrated strong judgment and integrity.
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, computer, and project management skills.
- Experience with Boston Post or similar property management software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of BostonPost software.
- Ability to travel to community sites throughout Bridgeport, CT.
- Eager to learn and if necessary attend training to obtain certifications.
- Bi-lingual oral and written skills preferred.
This is a full time, salaried position, 40 hours per week with the expectation that there may be more hours required from time to time, to be performed on site at BNT offices. The Property Manager must be available to work flexible hours to accommodate the needs of tenants. The Property Manager may be required to travel locally to meet with partners, facilitate workshops in the community, etc.
Salary commensurate with ability and experience. Compensation includes medical and other fringe benefits.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions, responsibilities and qualifications that comprise this position. This position is intended to be general and may evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Leticia Sepulveda, Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust, 570 State Street, Bridgeport, CT 06604 or email email@example.com