JOB TITLE: Property Manager
JOB REPORTS TO: Director of Property and Asset Manager
DATE UPDATED: November 27, 2018
The Property Manager is a member of the BNT team, supporting achievement of the mission: to LEAD, EMPOWER & CHANGE Bridgeport neighborhoods. To meet this challenge, BNT develops and manages affordable housing, creates healthy homes, provides comprehensive homeownership counseling and other wealth building services. The property manager will report to the Director of Property Management and Asset Management and will be responsible for overseeing BNT’s portfolio of 220+ units and over 18,000 sq. ft. of commercial space in scattered sites throughout the City of Bridgeport. The responsibilities include day to day operations of the portfolio in coordination with the Maintenance Department.
The ideal candidate has experience in income certifications, rent collection, leasing and working with low income and special needs households. Ability to work both independently and in a team environment, excellent written and verbal communication skills and computer proficiency are required. We are seeking someone with strong customer service and leadership skills who will promote excellence within themselves, their staff, and throughout the community.
- Maintain operational excellence:
- Ensure resident satisfaction in BNT housing by addressing complaints and lease violations as appropriate.
- Partner with social service partners to resolve resident issues.
- Work in coordination with local housing authority on rental assistance units to ensure compliance with Housing Assistance Program (HAP) contract and Section 8.
- Achieve breakeven operation
- Ensure timely collection of rents.
- When necessary, partner with the Empowerment Resource Academy to negotiate rent payment plan.
- As a final result, initiative eviction process.
- Monitor staff over-time costs.
- Monitor utility expenses, work with utility companies to provide funding to perform energy audits and carry out audit recommendations, and monitor usage.
- Work with Director of Property management and Asset Management to annually appeal City property assessment for each property to reduce tax liability and advocate for long term tax reductions.
Marketing and Rent up:
- Maintain Lease up of portfolio:
- Rent units within 30 days of vacancy.
- Advertise apartments available through social service partners, various media outlets and ensure compliance with the Affirmative Fair housing Marketing Plan.
- Create and maintain waitlist of qualified applicants while remaining in compliance with the developments’ Tenant Selection Plan
- Annually assess waiting list to ensure interest.
- Foster a positive landlord tenant relationship
- Ensure compliance with all fair housing laws when conducting leasing transactions.
- Select qualified tenants, conduct interviews;
- Perform initial and annual income certifications;
- Do pre-occupancy, move-out and annual apartment inspections in conjunction with Maintenance Department;
- Review tenant applications and determine eligibility, i.e. credit score, housing and employment history, criminal background;
- Prepare and execute rental agreements including negotiating payment plans, addressing tenant complaints, overseeing eviction proceedings;
- Oversee eviction of tenants in compliance with court order and direction from lawyers;
- Review tenant rent rolls;
- Create effective resident retention programs including partnering with social service providers and BNT’s Empowerment Resource Academy and other special events, i.e. Holiday Gift Collection, Thanksgiving Drive, Trick or Trunk.
- Commitment to BNT’s mission, respect for the work of our nonprofit partners, commitment to providing exemplary customer service to our
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 to 5 years of affordable housing work experience preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of federal, state and local housing programs.
- Familiar with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations including Fair housing laws.
- Knowledge of Low Income Housing Tax Credits, Section 8 and governing documents related to tax credits and other affordable housing programs
- Strong business, marketing and property management sense.
- Ability to process problems and recommend sound solutions to such problems.
- Calm and intelligent crisis manager with developed conflict management skills.
- Ability to maintain essential written records and reports
- Proven ability to work as a self-starter and team member.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to engage and maintain participation from diverse community-based organizations and local government programs.
- Self-motivated and independent thinker while maintaining strong and loyal team relationships.
- Demonstrated strong judgment and integrity.
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, computer, and project management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of BostonPost software or similar property management software.
- Ability to travel to community sites throughout Bridgeport, CT.
- Must obtain relevant certifications and attend trainings.
- Bilingual verbal and written skills preferred.
This is a full time position, 40 hours per week from 9:00 – 5:30 p.m.
Salary commensurate with ability and experience. Compensation includes medical and other fringe benefits.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions, responsibilities and qualifications that comprise this position. This position is intended to be general and may evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Leticia Sepulveda, Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust, 570 State Street, Bridgeport, CT 06604 or email email@example.com